Friday, June 19, 2009

Lion's mouth and my Grandmother's garden


The Lion's mouth bought in Switzerland. My grandmother used to grow them against the garage, a rather sunny spot, where the shade would only start at 3 pm. But she had them about 60 cm's high, this must be a different breed... It is probably an annual too... we will see next year.

I guess a lot of my gardening reminds me of my grandmother. The Pelargoniums, the grape vine, the red berries, Roses. She grew them all. In the Summer, when we staid with her, every evening it was time for "Blumen giessen", watering the flowers. She would drag an enourmous water can through her garden and water all the roses, who stood in the full strong Swiss summer sun and liked the extra water. The vegetable bed was easy peasy in comparison. I can also still see the water reservoir she had behind the house: a watertap ran into a metal square container. And the water stood there for at least 24 hours before being used. A good way to take the chlorine out.

No comments:

Post a Comment