Sunday, July 19, 2009

Some thoughts

I have recently had some ideas about the garden.

One started with a little book that my mother lent me. "The maintenance free garden". It sounded a bit boring. They were talking a lot about gritt and stones to cover the garden. And mulching of course. All of it I am not much into. I mean, mulching sounds good, but hardly happens ('Hurricanes hardly happen', My Fair Lady). But then I got thinking. Yes, it is a good idea to use mulch, or cocaonutshells to cover up the ground in between plants.

I am still trying to achieve a mixed flower garden, like little clumps of plants, but none the same throughout the garden. The problem is a lot of plants disappear at some time (summer plants in winter), so I find it hard to remember what is where. Still looking for good software for that (Cad? Gis?). And if the plants haven't disappeared, then it is impossible to get through the jungle. But the idea is worth keeping.

The other one, was a funny phrase by Maarten 't Hart in his monthly garden blog in the newspaper. It is not a gardening blog, rather a way to comment on the world from a metaphore. He was talking how his parents had a vegetable garden, and they weeded with the bible in mind: weed was the 'evil'. However Maarten always thought "What will this plant become". This is the dilemma I face in spring too. Simply because I don't know my plants, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment